Wow, a whole year old already! If your little prince or princess will be turning one this summer, take a look at these fab ideas for a first birthday party to treasure forever.
1. The invitesGive invitations the personal touch with your baby’s handprint – they’ll make great keepsakes and your little one will love splodging their paws in the paint!
Top tip Why stop at the invites? Add your baby’s paw print to balloons and paper tablecloths, too.
Handy product Poster paints come in lots of cool colours. Try Galt Poster Paints,£2.491 of 10
2. The venueGot a summer baby? Then take the party outside, and you won’t have to worry about spilt ice cream on carpets and sticky fingers on TV screens!
Top tip Create a wish tree – give each guest a luggage tag for them to write a wish for your baby on, then tie it to a tree in your garden. Collect and keep!
Handy products Create an outdoor activity area with everything from gardening kits and sand pits to trampolines and playhouses. See our great range of outdoor toys, from £6.392 of 10
3. The parkIf you don’t have a garden, don’t panic – a picnic in the park means you’ll have limitless space, so you can let the guest list grow (just ask everyone to bring along a dish).
Top tip Set up a gazebo to keep delicate skins out of strong sunlight – or to shelter from the rain!
Handy product With a pop-up travel cot, naptime needn’t suffer just because you’re out and about. See our selection of travel cots, from £24.993 of 10
4. The entertainmentBabies don’t need clowns and magicians to have a good time – just set out your little one’s toys, and your pint-sized party guests will soon be having the time of their lives!
Top tip Entertaining children of different ages? Set up a craft table – see here for cool ideas.
Handy product Little ones will have a splashing time in a paddling pool – and keep their cool! Try Buzzing Brains Summer Playground, £9.994 of 10
5. The decorationsKids of all sizes love paper chains! Cut different rolls of wrapping paper into strips, loop and glue the ends, then add another and keep going until you have a cheap and cheerful chain of colours!
Top tip This is the perfect job for older toddlers – they’ll feel proud to be part of the party-planning squad!
Handy product For more unique decorations, see what masterpieces your mini helpers can create with a big tub of craft bits. Stock up on glues, chalks and crafts including the fab Galt Art Jar, £14.995 of 10
6. The cakeThere’s something iconic about the birthday cake with a single candle, so camera at the ready! Sit your baby at one end of the table so you can focus on their delight – and hilarious efforts at blowing out that pesky candle!
Top tip If you’re not exactly Nigella in the kitchen, don’t sweat it – there are loads of cute ready-made cakes in the shops (throw away the box and who’s to know?!).
Handy product Let your baby cut the (fake) cake. Try Buzzing Brains Cut and Play Cake, £3 (62% off)6 of 10
7. The balloonsNothing says party time quite like balloons – and nothing wears little ones out quite like trying to chase those bouncy balls of fun around the garden!
Top tip Attach some colourful balloons to your front door so visitors can spot the party house as soon as they drive up.
Handy product All out of puff? Then let a balloon pump do the hard work for you!7 of 10
8. The face paintLittle ones love pretending to be someone – or something – else, so face paints are going to be a huge hit!
Top tip Tie your face painting into a party theme such as ‘a day at the zoo’. Go wild!
Handy product Even the least arty of parents can do themselves proud with paint sticks! Try Galt Face Paint Sticks, £3.998 of 10
9. The foodBuffets are brilliant for birthdays, as the little guests can eat the same as the grown-ups – just steer clear of processed foods, which can be high in salt and sugar.
Top tip An afternoon tea is a chic alternative to a buffet – serve finger sandwiches, biscuits and cupcakes
Handy product Let your baby help you host with their own tea set. Try one of our tea party sets, from £8.509 of 10
10. The memoryAfter all the fun of their very first birthday, your little one will no doubt want to snuggle up and drift off to sleep, dreaming about important things like balloons, cakes and friends. Tomorrow they start a whole new year, so create a keepsake of this most special of birthdays with a photo you can treasure forever.
Top tip Keep all your little one’s 1st birthday cards in a special box – the messages are sure to be sweet!
Handy product Why not immortalise just one tiny feature of your just-turned-one-year-old with a home imprint kit? Try Cast In Time Home Imprint Kit, £20.5010 of 10