Our friends at holidaycottages.co.uk know a thing or two about family holidays. That’s why we’ve teamed up with them to offer one lucky family the chance to win an £800 family holiday – quick, enter by 31st August.
But if you’re not our lucky winner – hey, that’s OK! – have a read of their top travel tips for a first family holiday that’s memorable for all the right reasons!
- Write a list: and keep it on your phone, your laptop or on the kitchen noticeboard so it’s always close to hand and you can update it on the fly.
- Plan naptime: plan in advance when your baby will sleep (or ‘should’ sleep!) and work your schedule accordingly. It just makes life easier!
- Have a backup source of entertainment: whether it’s a car seat toy, Peppa Pig on the iPad or, for older children, you can download these printable car games. And it goes without saying – always, always travel with snacks and drinks, by far the most effective peacekeepers.
- Take everything: the best thing about travelling in the UK is that if you’re travelling by car, you’re only limited to the size of your boot – not the weight of your suitcase! The weather in the UK is – at best – temperamental so pack a hat and sun cream plus warm clothes and a brolly just in case!
- Be safe: always travel with a first aid kit, a monitor and, if baby’s on the move, a portable stair gate is a must-have.
- Keep them close: travelling with a baby needn’t mean you can’t see the sights. If you take a sling or baby carrier with you, you can go gloriously off-road without a buggy to slow you down. And if junior’s feeling independent a set of reins will keep the wandering contained.
- Make it home from home: a portable blackout blind, a soothing nightlight and a favourite blankie will help baby settle at bedtime, even if it’s light outside.
Be sure to check out the wide selection of family-friendly properties available at holidaycottages.co.uk. Happy hols everyone!