The Parent/Toddler Olympics
So the Olympics aren’t far away, but I have to be honest it is not really an event I am that bothered about, especially when I feel I host my own toddler games every single day!
Let me explain:
- Stop what ever you are doing immediately to ensure your toddler makes it to the potty, get their trousers and pants down and gets sat down properly to do their ‘thing’.
- Rush to get a cloth if there are any spillages and race to clean their bottom in case they start to wonder off while you’er cleaning up or paying the other baby attention.
- Take the full potty up flight of stairs and empty it before coming back down the stairs again and waiting for the next wee-athon to start.
The Clothing Relay Race
- Fetch their clothes and give them their starting orders by announcing that it is time to get dressed. And he is off!!
- Spend the next five minutes or so chasing him around the open planned downstairs area, around the table and under the table maybe up and over the sofa and then back round again! You might manage to get one leg in a pair of trousers before he is off again leaving his trousers behind him.
- Finally, you track him down and get his clothes on – only for the wee-athon to start and his pants and trousers are taken off again!
The Tri (to-get-out-of-the-house) athlon
- You tell your toddler you’re going out in the car and the triathlon begins!
- Relay Race – A bit like the clothing relay race, you start to chase him around the house trying to get his arms in his coat. Sometimes, you might just get one arm in before he escapes from your grasp and another mini relay race starts again
- Sofa Aerobics – You need to get his shoes on so you resort to picking him up while his legs and arms are flapping and carry him over to the sofa to try and put his feet in his shoes. This involves lots of bending down actions as you have to pick up the shoes off the floor when they fly off his fast moving feet!
- Weight Lifting – When you’re finally ready to leave the house your toddler decides he wants to bring everything but the kitchen sink with him! Cuddly toys, books, toy cars, mobile phone, iPad, you name it he thinks you NEED to take it out with you . So you end up heavy laden with baby in car seat in one arm, changing bag over your shoulder and a load of toddler accessories in your spare arm/hand!
The game where your toddler finds it hilarious to shut the door on you in a room and every time you try to open it, he closes it! I tug it one way, he pushes it the other way. Soooo frustrating and can go in for a while because you dare not try and open it to vigorously for gear of trapping little fingers or knocking out one’s child!
The Obstacle Race
Occurs while ‘taking part’ in any of the above toddler Olympic events and primarily involves almost tripping up over toys, books and bits of puzzle. There is always an obstacle in one form or another lying in wait to trip me up!
Toddler – Gold Medal
Mummy – Bronze Medal